Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

...looks like we are finally back to the land of the living...after a VERY long week. Last Friday morning when I went in to scoop Will up out of his bed, he was on fire and had a temperature of 102.4 coupled with being a VERY fussy baby. I went ahead and called the doctor and we were seen immediately (one thing I absolutely LOVE about our practice!). The doctor gave him the once over and other than a slightly irritated throat and fever, his vitals were all normal. She let me know that likely the fever was an indicator that an infection was present and a cold would likely follow.

That afternoon Will's fever spiked to 104 and that's when I started to panic. We immediately began rotating IB Profin and Tylenol every three hours (per the nurse) along with several lukewarm baths to get the fever down. My in laws were suppose to be over that evening to watch Will for us while we went to a rehearsal dinner in Chapel Hill, but we quickly made a change of plans as we were fearful we might be spending the night in the pediatric ER. We finally got Will's fever down to 102.8 before putting him to bed but he woke every 30-45 minutes screaming in pain and dripping with sweat. Zak spent most of the night with Will sleeping on his chest in the glider...not a fun night!

Saturday morning the fever broke but he still screamed most of the morning and wouldn't nap. Since Zak was an usher in the wedding we talked to my parents to see if they were up for the challenge of keeping him through the night, which they kindly agreed to do. Of course when your kids go to grandma and grandpa's house they suddenly perk right up. I was happy to hear that he was minimally fussy and slept successfully through the night. What I wasn't thrilled to hear was that he didn't take ANY bottles. We picked him up Sunday morning and noticed that his body was covered with tiny bumps and he seemed to refuse to swallow. We called the triage nurse who felt 95% confident that what Will had was Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. What?!?!? Disease??? Are you kidding me? ...after some research we found it wasn't anything major we just needed to commit to getting fluid in him by any means necessary so for the 3 days that followed I fed him ALL his bottles through a syringe. NOT FUN! But one week later, the sores appear to have gone and my little man seems to be about 90% better.

Thank you Jesus that Zak and I were spared of the HIGHLY contagious virus! I have never had such bad cabin fever and starved of adult conversation since we basically couldn't leave the house. I have never been so thankful to be back in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment