Thursday, June 14, 2012

A little Overwhelmed...


It's been a tough week here in the Shipman household and I've been a little depressed to tell you the truth. As I've previously mentioned, things have been tight for our household since having Sir William but we've made adjustments and have been hanging in there. However, this week we just knew we had to take Tuck (our big kitty) in to the vet because we just knew something was wrong. He had been drinking buckets of water and going through litter like there was no tomorrow and just generally lethargic.

I hate going to the vet. I hate hearing all the vaccinations they needs and minor problems or even worse hearing that something is wrong with one of your pets to the tune of $500. So the last few times I have insisted that Zak take Daisy or Tuck in because I have a hard time telling them no to costly tests and procedures... but this week was different.

I agreed to take Tucker in with Will and see what was going on... When we got there they took a Urine sample and did some blood work, leaving the room for a while before returning with the Vet. When Dr. Betsy came in she said "I've got some bad news..." Tucker has diabetes.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! I can't say that I was surprised because we had a feeling that might be the case but over the past 72 hours the news has just continued to get progressively worse... After further testing, the vet confirmed the diabetes and while at first she thought that possibly trying to simply reduce his weight could keep the need for insulin at bay in the end the answer was final.

Tucker has type 1 diabetes which is genetic and unavoidable. Our choices are to either put him to sleep... start him on insulin... or find him a new home. I find myself a little angry with the Lord questioning why he would put us in this position of hardship yet again to either take on a ridiculous expense of costly diabetic food and insulin twice a day or forced to end his life or give him away....To say the least, I've shed many tears this week at the thought of letting him go.

Tucker has been such a wonderful and easy part of our family which makes the decision unbelievably hard. Looks like we'll be spending a lot of time on our knees seeking the Lord as to how to proceed...

poor Tuck...

No comments:

Post a Comment