Sunday, March 17, 2013

Will's 1st Haircut...


To say my little monkey was past due for a haircut is the understatement of the month. (much to the disagreement of both sets of grandparents) See exhibit A. After planning a day, Zak and I decided to take Will several Saturday mornings back to the Holly Springs Barbour shop (after strong recommendations of our friends) for Will's first haircut. As silly as it is, I was really excited! Excited to document one of a thousand firsts in our little boys life. 

Ever since I was a little girl, I LOVED going to get my hair cut. I would always sit really still and feel just like a little princess. All to say, I had high hopes for my little man. I knew we would have to hold him down and I knew he might be slightly uncomfortable, but I had NO idea the disaster of an experience we were about to live out.

After arriving, we saw there was only one hair stylist working. We waited for probably 15-20 minutes for it to be our turn and Will enjoyed playing in the nicely laid out kids room. The Asian woman finally called us up and I promptly let her know that this was Will's very first haircut and asked her what we should do. She frowned a bit and said " hmm You sit here and hold him!" (to Zak) Much of this story is very difficult to tell without hearing it but I'll do my best....

...from there, everything went down hill. After draping both Will and Zak she immediately took out the scissors and demanded that Zak pin Will's chest and head down. Will was TERRIFIED! He immediately started sweating and screaming. The woman DID NOT CARE. While he was screaming she kept saying "Oh boo hoo hoo, boo hoo hoo, poor baby poor baby" in this mocking voice. It was then that I felt my blood pressure rising and I promptly put the camera down. Hind sight I should have snatched Will up and marched all of us right out of there. It was unbelievable. Both Zak and I felt like it was border line abusive as she had both of us firmly pinning his head down as he was screaming helplessly....

That was the first of what I am sure will be many occasions where I felt like the worst mom in all the world. We left with Will in tears, followed by me in tears. Never again. Did we leave with special clippings of his first hair cut or fond memories? NO! We left with great resolve that we would never ever let that happen again!

Just last night Zak and I decided that we would tackle the hair cutting on our own and I have to say I did a darn good job. We put on some Elmo, strapped him in his portable high chair, gave him a sucker and Viola success with NO TEARS!!! Praise Jesus. 

I snapped a few quick pictures this morning after cutting his hair last night! 



 

1 comment:

  1. That is horrible!! I would never go back again! I would definitely recommend a place specifically for kids. We did that with EG. She got to sit in a fun car, they had a TV in front of her, and they gave us a certificate with a lock of hair. Definitely worth the extra money the first time around so you can make it special and then just do it yourself after that. He looks so cute with his new 'do!

    ReplyDelete