Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Will's first day of Preschool...


How is it possible that this day has already come...Will's 1st day of preschool. All summer I looked forward to the beginning of school, but as I drove to Colonial Baptist yesterday morning I felt a pit in my stomach. Uncertainty for myself but great anticipation for Will. Being that Will is an October birthday he will always be the oldest of his class. Something I think that will serve him well, particularly as a little boy. That extra year makes all the difference.

Yesterday morning, Will woke up bright and early and said he was ready to go to school! Nana came over to keep Pierce for me in the event that I needed to stay longer if he was having a hard time saying goodbye (something that I now know to be laughable). We took a few quick pictures and headed out. The whole ride there Will was talking up a storm about his teacher Mrs. Amanda and how he was going to share with his new friends interspersed with the constant hollers of wahooo!!! Squeals of complete delight and excited anticipation of this new chapter of his life.


I walked him in and he RAN into his classroom and never looked back. The pit in my stomach grew... it was at that moment that I realized that this is the beginning of our gradual separation. Recognizing my responsibility to teach my sweet baby boy to take risks and shoot him out into the world like an arrow. It is so easy for us as mom's to want to hold them so close and keep them with us forever but biblical parenthood requires of us to shoot them out like arrows to take on the world for the gospel...especially our boys. In the next 20 years I will have to constantly remind myself of this.


I was so nervous to hear how he did his first day. When I walked in I saw him helping his teacher clean up all the toys and it brought a smile to my face. As soon as he saw me his face lit up and he said "Hey Mamma!" as he ran to the door. His teacher, Mrs Amanda is so very kind. I watched as she hugged each child leaving and told them she loved them. It nearly brought a tear to my eye. I asked how Will did and she smiled big and said, "I think he's ready for college." "He also helped us clean up all the toys and was very kind and helpful. He is definitely ready to be here."

We grabbed his first craft and headed for home. The first the out of Will's mouth was, "Hey Mamma, that was really fun! Can I go back tomorrow?" No son you may not go back tomorrow, two days a week is all that I can handle! Here's to a great first year of preschool! We love you so much my sweet Will and can already see the great and mighty things the Lord has in store for your life!




No comments:

Post a Comment